James is a qualified patent attorney practising for over twenty years with experience in multiple jurisdictions including Australia, Singapore (+3 years) and Hong Kong (+6 years). He has extensive experience in patent, trademark and design matters in the Indo-Pacific region. He specialises in machine learning, blockchain, cryptocurrencies and software/IT.
James has acted for local and international clients, including well-known multinational corporations, Hong Kong universities, Singapore universities, Australian universities, ASTRI, A*STAR, and successful software start-ups.
His practice covers software and IT technologies, including machine learning, blockchain, and medical devices. In addition to his patent drafting, prosecution and advisory practice, James’ practice strongly focuses on:
- commercial cross-border patent filing and prosecution strategies for international corporations with global operations;
- freedom-to-operate patent clearance in the Indo-Pacific region;
- protection of software user interfaces;
- protection of SaaS components and AI models;
- comprehensive IP landscape and patent analysis to present to company boards or potential investors; and
- advice regarding tendering and government procurement in compliance with World Trade Organisation requirements relating to intellectual property.
Education & Qualifications
University of Technology, SydneyMaster of IP Law
University of Technology, SydneyMaster of Laws
University of Technology, SydneyBachelor of Science (Computing Science)
Registered Patent Attorney
(Australia, New Zealand and Singapore)
Memberships & Associations
Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
Law Society of NSW
Licensing Executives Society (LESANZ)
Association of Singapore Patent Agents (ASPA)
Asian Australian Lawyers Association (AALA)
Australian Computer Society (ACS)
Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)